Skip to main content

tv   CBS News The First Presidential Debate  CBS  September 26, 2016 6:00pm-8:00pm MST

6:00 pm
captioning sponsored by cbs >> pelley: they finally meet, hillary clinton and donald trump. one will be the the next president of the united states, and they're about to debate for the first time here on cbs. >> we're going to make the wealthy pay their fair share in >> we're going to protect your jobs and your wages. >> he's talked about sending in american ground troops. not on my watch. >> law and order must be restored. >> campaign 2016, the first presidential debate from hofstra university in hempstead, new york, here are scott pelley and
6:01 pm
the race is virtually tied, one reason this is among the most-anticipated presidential debates in history. hillary clinton arrived in the hall a short time ago. donald trump is here as well. he is the political novice, 70-year-old billionaire with incendiary, anti-establishment rhetoric. he'll be debating the 68-year-old establishment pro, former first lady, senator, and secretary of state, who hasor debates than anyone. this is the first of three presidential debates. the the first time voters can hold a candidate in each hand and compare the ingredients side pie side. the debate is sponsored by the nonpartisan commission on presidential debates. it has selected nbc's lester holt as the moderator tonight, and he is solely responsible for the topics and the questions.
6:02 pm
of "face the nation." >> scott, there's a sense of decorum on the general election debates that's different from the ones we saw in the primarys. it's the event that is approximate to the presidency. it will be about how they approach the issues and communicate them if they have to as president. when we look at, it's sometimes a quib or a stumble that the voters pay attention to that defines of the night. >> pelley: now, let's go t our correspondents covering this, major garrett. >> for donald trump, a small measure of victory will be achieved when he walks on stage, a presidential debate by the very nature confers. the next hurdle for trump, persuade the country that he is prepared for the rigors of the presidency and he understands how to address their anxiety about terrorism at home and and abroad. >> pelley: nancy cordes is covering the clinton campaign,
6:03 pm
we saw him shake hands with melania trump a few minute ago. normally, campaigns try to lower expectations for their candidate. in this caishes the clinton campaign has been very busy trying to raise expectations for donald trump. they say he needs to be held to the same standard as clinton when it comes to understanding the issues, and being truthful about past statements. >> pelley: nancy cordes and major garrett for us tonight. thanks. big stakes tonight because the race is tied, and alsobe than usual. lester holt, as we said, is the moderator tonight, and we will go down to the podiums now. >> good evening, from can hofstra university in hempstead, new york, i'm lefter holt, anchor the ""nbc nightly news." i want to welcome you to want first presidential debate. the participants tonight are donald trump and hillary clinton. this debate is sponsored by the commission on presidential
6:04 pm
nonprofit organization. the commission drafted tonight's format and the rules have been agreed to by the the campaigns. the 90-minute debate is divided into six segments, each 15 minutes long. we'll explore three topic areas tonight: achieving prosperity, america's direction, and securing america. at the start of each segment, i will ask the same lead-off question to both candidates, and they will each have up to two minutes to respond. from that point until the end of the segment, we'll have an open discussion. the the have not been shared with the commission or the campaigns. the audience here in the room has agreed to remain silent so that we can focus on what the candidates are saying. i will invite to you applaud, however, at this moment, as we welcome the candidates. democratic nominee for president of the united states, hillary clinton, and republican nominee for president of the united states, donald j. trump.
6:05 pm
>> how are you, d ( applause ) >> good luck to you. >> good to see you, thank you. >> good luck to you. >> well, i don't expect us to cover all the issues of this campaign tonight, but i remind everyone there are two more presidential debates scheduled. we are going to focus on many the issues that voters tell us are most important, and we're going to press for specifics. i am honored to have this role, but this evening belongs to the candidates. and just as important, to the american people. candidates, we look forward to hearing you articulate your policies and your positions as well as your visions and your values. so let's begin. we're calling this opening segment "achieving prosperity," and central to that is jobs. there are two economic realities in america today.
6:06 pm
and new census numbers show incomes have increased at a record rate after years of stagnation. however, income inequality is significant and nearly half of americanss are living paycheck to paycheck. beginning with you, secretary clinton, why are you a better choice than your opponent to create the kind of jobs that will put more money into the pockets of american workers? >> thank you, lester, and thank you, hofstra, for the central question in this election is really what kind of country we want to be and what kind of future we will build together. today is my granddaughter's second birthday so i think about this a lot. first, we have to build an economy that works for everyone, not just those at the top. that means we need new jobs, good jobs, with rising incomes. i want us to invest in you. i want us to invest in your future. that means jobs in infrastructure, in advanced
6:07 pm
technology, clean, renewable energy, and small business. because most of the new jobs will come from small business. we also have to make the economy fairer. that start with raising the national minimum wage, and also guarantee, finally, equal pay for women's work. i also want to see more companies do profit sharing. if you help create the profits, you should be able to share in them, not just the executives at the top. and i want us to do mor support people who are struggling to balance family and work. i've heard from so many of you about the difficulty choices you face and the stresses that you're under. so let's have paid family leave, earned sick days. let's be sure we have affordable child care and debt-free college. how are we going to do it? we're going to do it by having the wealthy pay their fair share and close the corporate loopholes. finally we, tonight, are on the
6:08 pm
and i. donald, it's good to be with you. we're going to have a debate where we are talking about the important issues facing our country. you have to judge us. who can shoulder the immense, awesome responsibilities of the presidency? who can put into action the plans that will make your life better? i hope that i will be able to earn your vote on november 8. >> secretary clinton, thank you. mr. more money into the the pocketes of american workers. you have up to two minutes. >> thank you, lester. our jobs are fleeing the country. they're going to mexico. they're going to many other countries. you look at what china is doing to our country in terms of making our product. they're devaluing their currency, and there's nobody in our government to fight them. and we have a very good fight, and we have a winning fight, because they're using our country as a piggy bank to
6:09 pm
thing. so we're losing our good jobs, so many of them. when you look at what's happening in mexico, a friend of mine who builds plants said it's the eighth wonder of the world. they're building some of the biggest plants anywhere in the world, some of the most sophisticated, some of the best plants. with the united states, as you said, not so much. so ford is leaving, you see that, their small car division, leaving. thousands of jobs leaving michigav they're all leaving and we can't allow it to happen anymore. as far as child care is concerned and so many other things, i think hillary and i agree on that. we probably disagree a little bit as to numbers and amounts and what we're going to do, but perhaps we'll be talking about that later. but we have to stop our jobs from being stolen from us. we have to stop our companies from leaving the united states, and with it, firing all of the their people.
6:10 pm
in indianapolis. they fired 1400 people. they're going to mexico. so many hundreds and hundreds of companies are doing this. we cannot let it happen. under my plan, i'll be reducing taxes tremendously from 35% to 15% for companies, small and big businesss. that's going to be a job creator like we haven't seen since ronald reagan. it's going to be a beautiful thing to watch. companies will come. w they will expand. new companies will start, and i look very, very much forward to doing it. we have to renegotiate our trade deals, and we have to stop these countries from stealing our companies and our jobs. >> secretary clinton, would you like to respond? >> well, i think that trade san important issue. of course, we are 5% of the world's population. we have to trade with other 95%. and and we need to have smart, fair, trade deals.
6:11 pm
system that rewards work and not just financial transactions. and the kind of plan that donald has put forth would be trickle-down economics all over again. in fact it would be the most extreme version-- the biggest tax cuts for the top percent of the people in this country than we've ever had. i call it trumped up trickle down because that's exactly what it would be. that is not how we grow the the economy. we just have a different view about what's best for growing investments that will actual he produce jobs, and rising incomes. i think we come at it from somewhat different perspectives. i understand that. you know, donald was very fortunate in his life, and that's all to his benefit. he started his business with $14 million borrowed from his father, and he really believes that the more you help wealthy people the better off we'll be, and that everything will work out from there. i don't buy that.
6:12 pm
purpose my father was a small-business man. he worked really hard. he printed drapery fabrics on long tainlz taibled where he pulled out those fabricses and dumped the paint in and took the squeegee and kept going. what i believe is the more we can can do for the middle class, the more we can invest in you, your education, your skills, your future, the better we will be off and the the better we'll grow. that's the kind of economy i want us to see again. >> let me follow up, mr. trump you talked about creating 25 million jobs and you promised to bring back millions of jobs for americans. how are we going to bring back the industries that have left this country for cheaper labor overseas? how specifically are you going to tell american manufacturers that you have to come back? >> well, for one thing-- and before we start on that, my father gave me a very small loan in 1975, and i built it into a country that's worth many, many billions of dollarss with some of the greatest assets in the
6:13 pm
country needs. our country is in deep trouble. we don't know what we're doing when it comes to devaluations and all of these countries all over the world-- especially china. they're the best, the best ever at it. what they're doing to us is a very, very sad thing. so we have to do that. we have to renegotiate our trade deals. and, lester, they're taking our jobs. they're giving incentives, they're doing things that, frankly, we don't do. let me give you the example of mexico. they have a vat tax. we're on aif when we sell into mexico, there's a tax. when they sell-- automatic, 16%, approximately. when they cel sell into us thers no tax. it's a defective agreement, it has been defective in for many years, and the politicianing have not done anything about it. with all fairness to secretary-- is that okay? i want you to be happy. it's very important to me. with all fairness to secretary
6:14 pm
talking about this it was really very recently. she's been could go this for 30 years. and why hasn't she made the agreements better? the nafta agreement is defective because of the tax and other reasons-- >> let me interrupt for a moment. >> secretary clintons and others, politicians, should have been doing this for years, not right now because of the fact that we've created a movement. they should have been doing this for years. what's happened to our jobs and our country and our economy generally is-- look, we trillion. we cannot do it any longer, lester. >> back to the question, though, how do you bring back-- specifically bring back jobs, american manufacturers. how do you make them bring the jobs back? >> the first thing you do is don't let the jobs leave. the companies are leaving. there are thousands of them. they're leaving. and they're leaving in bigger numbers than ever. what you do is you say, "fine, you want to go to mexico or some other country. good luck. we wish you a lot of lux.
6:15 pm
your car or your keeks or whatever you make and bring them into our country without a tax, you're wrong." once you say you're going to have to tax them coming in-- and our politicians never do this, because they have special interests and the special interests want those companies to leave because in many case they say own the companies. so what i'm saying is we can stop them from leaving. we have to stop them from leaving, and that's a big, big factor. >> let me let secretary can clinton in again here. >> let's stop for years ago. we had the worst financial crisis, the great recession, the worst since the 1930s. that was in large part because of tax policies that slashed tacks on the wealths, failed to invest in the middle class, took their eyes off the wall street, and created a perfect storm. in fact, donald was one of the people who rooted for the housing crisis.
6:16 pm
then i can go in and buy some and make some money." i did collapse. >> that's called business, by the way. >> nine million people-- nine million people lost their jobs, five million people lost their homes and $13 trillion in family wealth was wiped out. now, we have come back from that abyss, and it has not been easy. so we're now on the precipice of having a potentially much better economy. but the last thing we need to d that failed us in the first place. independent experts have looked at what i've proposed and looked at what donald's proposed. and basically they've said this that if his tax plan which would blow up the debt by over $5 trillion and would, in some instances, disadvantage middle-class families, compared to the wealthy-- were to go into forecast we would lose 3.5
6:17 pm
recession. they've looked at my plans, and they've said, "okay, if we can do this--" and i intend to get it done "we will have 10 million more new jobs." because we will be making investment where's we can grow economy. take clean energy-- some country is going to be the clean energy superpower of the 21st century. donald thinks that climate change say hoax, perpetrated by the chinese. i think it's real-- >> i did not, i >> and i think it's important that we grip this and deal with it both at home and abroad. and here's what we can do. we can keploy a half a billion more solar panels. we can have enough clean energy to power every home. we can build a new modern electric grid. that's a lot of jobs. that's a lot of new economic activity. so i've tried to be very specific about what we can and should do and i am determined that we're going to get the economy really moving again,
6:18 pm
but never going back to what got us in trouble in the first place. >> mr. trump. >> she talks about serial panels. we invested in a solar company, our country, that was a disaster. they lost plenty of money on that one. now, look, i'm a great believer in all forms of energy, but we're putting a lot of people out of work. our energy policies are a disaster. our country is losing so many in energy, in terms of paying off our debt. you can't do what you're looking the obama administration, from the time they've come in, is over 230 years' worth of debt, and he's topped it. he's doubled it in the course of almost eight years, 7.5 years, to be semiexact. so i will tell you this-- we have to do a much better job at keeping our jobs. and we have to do a much better job at giving companies incentive to build new companies or to expand because they're not
6:19 pm
at michigan and look at ohio, and look at all of these place where's so many of their-- their jobs can and their companies are just leaving, they're gone. and, hillary, i just ask you this: you've been doing this for 30 years. why are you just thinking about these solutions right now? for 30 years, you've been doing it, and now you're just starting to think of solutions. >> well, actually-- >> excuse me. i wil you can't bring back jobs. >> actually, i have thought about it quite a bit. >> yeah, for 30 years. >> well, not quite that long. i think my husband did a pretty good job in the 9090s, and i think about what worked-- >> he approved nafta, the single worst trade deal. >> incomes went up for everybody. and manufacturing jobs went up in the 19 niewnts if we're
6:20 pm
trade deals that came before me and i held them all to the same test: will they create jobs in america? will they raise income in america? and are they good for our national security? some i voted for, the biggest one, the multinational one known as kafta,y i voted against. and i hold the same standards as i look at all of these trade deals. but let's not assume that trade is the only challenge we have in the the economy. i think it is a part of i do. i'm going to have a special prosecutor. we're going to enforce the trade deals we have and we're going to hold people accountable. when i was secretary of state, we actually increased american exports globally 30%. we increased them to china 50%. so i know how to really work to get new jobs and to get exports that help to create more new jobs. >> very quickly-- >> you haven't done it in 30 years or 26 years.
6:21 pm
donald. >> you haven't done it. >> i have been a secretary of state-- >> excuse me, your husband signed nafta which was one of the worst things that ever happened. >> that's your opinion. that is your opinion. >> you go to new england, you go to ohio, pennsylvania. you go anywhere you want, secretary clinton, and you will see devastation where manufacturing is down 30%, 40%, sometimes 50%. nafta is the the worst trade deal ever signed anywhere, but certainly signed in this country. now you want to approve trans-pacific partnership. you were in favor of it and you then you heard me saying how bad it was. you do know if it did win-- nothing would top nafta. >> that is just not accurate. i was against it, once it was finally negotiated, and the terms were laid out. i wrote about that in-- >> you called it the gold standard. you called it the gold standard of trade deals. you said it's the finest deal
6:22 pm
said about it, and all of a sudden you are against it. >> donald, i know you live in your own reality, but that is not the facts. the facts are i did say i hoped it would be a good keel. >> not. >> but when it was negotiated, which i was not responsible for, i concluded it wasn't. >> so is it president obama's fault. >> before you even announced. >> secretary, is it president pt obama's fault? >> there are-- >> because he's pushing it. >> there are different ew country, our economy, and our leadership in the world. and i think it's important to look at what we need to do to get the economy going again. that's why i said new jobs with rising incomes, investments. not in more tax cuts that would add $5 trillion to the debt-- >> but you have no plan. >> oh, but i do. >> secretary, you have no plan. >> i have written a book about it. it's called, "stronger together" you can pick it up at a
6:23 pm
>> we're going to move to-- >> it's because i see this. we need to have strong growth, fair growth, sustained growth. we have to look at how we help families balance the responsibilities at home and the responsibilities in business. so we have a very robust set of plans, and people have looked at both of our plans, have concluded that mine would create 10 million jobs, and yours would lose us 3.5 million jobs and explode the debt-- >> you are going t history. are you going to approve one of the biggest tax increases in history. are you going to drive business out. your regulations are a disaster-- and you're going to increase regulations all over the place. and by the way, my tax cut is the biggest since ronald reagan. i'm very proud of it. it will create tremendous numbers of new jobs. but regulations-- you are going to regulate these businesses out of existence. when i go around-- lester, i tell you this-- i've been all
6:24 pm
the tax cut, the things that businesses and people like the most is the fact that i'm cutting regulation. you have regulations on top of regulations and new companies cannot form and old companies are going out of business, and you want to increase regulations and make them even worse. i'm going to cut regulations. but i'm going to cut taxes big league, and you're going to raise taxes big league. end of story. >> let me get you to pause right there because we're going to move int >> that can't be left to stand. >> please take 30 seconds. >> i kind of assumed there would be a lot of these charges and claims-- >> facts. >> so we have taken the home page might have web site, hillaryclinton.com, and turned it into a fact checker. so if you want to see in real time what the facts are, please go and take a look because-- >> and take a look at mine, also, and you'll see. see.
6:25 pm
tow the debt and your plans add $5 trillion. what i proposed would cut regulations and streamline them for small businesses. what i have proposed would be paid for by raising taxes on the wealthy because they have made all the gains in the economy. and i think it's time that the wealthy and corporations paid their fair share to support this country. >> you just opened the next segment-- >> i think i should i. >> i'm going to give you a chance right >> she's going to raise taxes $1.3 trillion. >> mr. trump-- >> look at her web siteue know what, it's no difference than this. she's telling us how to fight isis. go to her isis, and she'll tell you how to fight isis on her web site. i don't think general mcarthur would appreciate that. >> at least i have a plan to fight isis. >> you're contingent telling the enemy everything you want to do. >> no, i'm not.
6:26 pm
fighting isis your entire adult life. >> well, that's a-- ple checkers, dp to work. >> we're still on the issue of achieving prosperity, and i want to talk about taxes. the fundamental difference between the two of you concerns the wealthy. secretary clinton you're talking about a tax increase on the wealthiest americans. i would like you to further defend that. and mr. trump, you're calling for tax cuts for the wealthy and i would like you to defd >> i am really calling for major jobs, because the wealthy are going to create tremendous jobs. they're going to expand their companies. they're going to do a tremendous job. i'm getting rid of the carried interest provision and if you look it's not a great thing for the wealthy. it's a great thing for middle class. it's a great thing for companies to expand. and when these people are going to put billions and billions of dollars into companies and when they're going to bring $2.5 trillion back from overseas,
6:27 pm
secretary clinton won't allow them to bring the money back because the taxes are so onerous, and the bureaucratic red tape is so bad. cawhat they're doing is leaving our country, and believe it it or not, leaving because taxes are too high, and because some have lots of money outside of our country. and instead of bringing it back and putting the money to work because they can't work out a deal to-- and everybody agrees it should be brought back. instead of that, they're leaving our country to get their money because they can't bring their because of bureaucratic red tape. because they can't get together. because we have-- we have a president that can't sit them around a table and get them to approving? and here's the thing-- republicans and democrats agree that this should be done. 2.5 trillion. i happen to think it's double that. it's probably $5 trillion that we can't bring into our country, lester. and with a little leadership you'd get it in here very quickly and it could be put to
6:28 pm
of other things and it would be beautiful. but we have no leadership. and, honestly, that starts with secretary clinton. >> all right, you have two minute on the same question to defend tax increases on wealthiest americans, secretary clinton. >> i have a feeling by the end of this evening, i'm going to be blamed for everything that's ever happened. >> why not. >> why not, yeah, why not. ( laughter ) you know, just-- just join the debate by saying more crazy things. now, let me-- >> there's nothing crazy about not letting ou their money i?-- >> this is secretary clinton's two minutes, please. >> let's start the clock again, lester. we've looked at your tax proposals. i don't see changes in the corporate tax rate or the kinds of proposals you're referring to that would cause the repatriation, bringing back of money that's overseas. >> then you didn't read it. >> i thoop support that in a way
6:29 pm
but when i look at what you have proposed, you have is called now the trump loophole, because if would so advantage you and the business you do. you've proposed-- >> who gave it that game. >> the first-- >> this is secretary clinton's two minutes. >> tax benefits for your family. when you look at-- >> how much for my family? >> it is-- >> lester, how much? >> it is, as i said, trumped up, trickle down.tr it got us into the mess we were in 2008 and 2009. slashing taxes on the wealthy hasn't worked. and a lot of really smart wealthy people know that. and they are saying, hey, we need to do more to make the contributions we should be making to rebuild the middle class. i don't think top-down works in america. i think building the middle class, investing in the middle class, making college debt free so more young people can get
6:30 pm
debt from college at a lower rate. those are the kinds of things that will really boost the economy. broad-based, inclusive growth is what we need in america, not more advantages for people at the very top. >> mr. trump uwe're talk ago. >> typical politician. all talk, no action. sounds good. doesn't work. never going c to our country is suffering because people like secretary clinton have made such bad decisions in terms of our jobs, and in terms of what's going on. now, look, we have the worst revival of an economy since the great depression. and believe me, we're in a bubble right now. and the only thing that looks good is the stock market, but if you raise interest rates even a little bit, that's going to come crashing down. we are in a big, fat, ugly bubble. and we better be awfully
6:31 pm
political things. this janet yellin of the fed, the fed is doing political, by keeping interest rates at this level. and believe me, the day obama goes off and leaves and goes out to the golf course for the rest of his life to play golf, when they raise interest rates you're going to see very bad things happen because the fed is not dog their job. the fed is being more political than secretary clinton. >> mr. trump, we're talked about the burden that the americans have to pay. yet, are you not released your tax re and the reason nominees have released their returns for decades is so voters will know if their potential president owes money to, who he owes it to, and any business conflicts. don't americans have a right to know if there are any conflicts of interest? >> i don't mind releasing. i'm under a routine audit. and it will be released. as soon as the audit is finished, it will be released. you will learn more about donald trump by going to the federal
6:32 pm
104-page, essentially financial statement of sorts-- the forms that they have. it shows income-- in fact income-- i just looked today. the income is filed at $694 million for this past year. $694 million. if you would have told me i was going to make that 15 or 20 years ago i would have been very surprised. but that's kind of thinking our country needs. when we have a country that's doing so badly, that's being ripped off by every single country in the world, it's the kind of thinking country needs because everybody-- lester, we have a trade deficit with all of the countries that we do business with, of almost $800 billion a year. you know what that is? that means who's negotiating these trade deals? we have people that are political hacks negotiating our trade deals. >> the i.r.s. says an audit of your taxes -- you're perfectly free to release your taxes during an audit.
6:33 pm
your-- >> i told you, i will release them as soon as the audit. look, i've been under audit almost 15 years. i know a lot of wealthy people who have never been audited. i say, do, you get audited?" i it's almost like a way of life. i get audited by the i.r.s. but i don't complain. we have a situation in this country that has to be taken against my lawyer's wishes, when she releases her 33,000 e-mails that have been deleted. as soon as she releaseds them, i will release-- ( applause ) i will release my tax returns, and that's against my-- my lawyers, they say don't do it. i will tell you this-- in fact, watching shows, reading the papers, almost every lawyer says, "you don't release your returns until the audit is complete." when the audit is complete, i
6:34 pm
she releases her e-mails. >> it's negotiable? >> it's not negotiable. no-- why did she delete 33,000 e-mails. >> let's admonish the audience one more time. there was an agreement, you did agree to be silent. so it would be helpful for us. secretary clinton. >> i think you have seen another example of bait and switch here. for 40 years, everyone running for president has released their tax returns. you can can go and see nearly, i think 39, 40 years of our tax s, wean the i.r.s. has made clear there is no prohibition on releasing it when you're under audit. so watch got to ask yourself, why won't he release his tax returns? and i think there may be a couple of reasons. first, maybe he's not as rich as he says he is. second, maybe he's not as charitable as he claims to be. third, we don't know all of his business dealings, but we have been told through investigative
6:35 pm
$650 million to wall street and foreign banks. or maybe he doesn't want the american people, all of you watching tonight, to know that he's paid nothing in federal taxeses because the only years that anybody has ever senior a couple of years when he had to turn them over to state authorities when he was trying to get a casino license, and they showed he didn't pay any federal income tax. >> that makes me smart. >> so if he means zero for troops, zero for vets, zero for schools or health. and i think probably he's not all that enthusiastic about having the rest of our country see what the real reasons are because it must be something really important, even terrible, that he's trying to hide. and the financial disclosure statements, they don't give you the the tax rate. they don't give you all the details that tax returns would. and it just seems to me that
6:36 pm
american people deserve to see. and i have no reason to believe that he's ever going to release his tax returns. because there's something he's hide expecting we'll guess. we'll keep guessing at what it might be that he's hiding. but i think the question is, were he ever to get near the white house, what would be those conflicts? who does he owe money to? well, he owes you the answers to that, and he should provide them. >> he also raised the issue of your e-mails. do you want to respond to is that tha? >> i do. you know, i made a mistake using a private e-mail. >> that's for sure. >> and if i had to do it over again, i would, obviously, do it differently. but i'm not going to make any excuses. it was a mistake. and i take responsibility for that. >> mr. trump? >> that was more than a mistake. that was done purposely. okay. that was not a mistake. that was done purposely.
6:37 pm
the fifth amendment, taking the fifth, so they're not prosecuted, when you have the man that set up the illegal server taking the fifth, i think it's disgraceful. and believe me, this country thinks it's disgrace-- it really thinks it's disgraceful, also. as far as my tax returns, you don't learn that much from tax returns. they can can tell you. you learn a lot from financial disclosure. and you should go down and take a look at that. the other thing, i'm extremely the way, a lot of friends of mine that know that business said, "boy, that's not really a lot of money. it's not a lot of money relative to what i have. the buildings that were in question that was said in the report-- it wasn't a bad story-- the buildinged are worth billions. but it's not 650. it's less than than that. i could give you a list of
6:38 pm
they're fine institution. i could do that. i have a tremendous income, and the reason i say that is not in a braggadocious way, because it's about time this country had somebody running it that has an idea about money. when we have $20 trillion in debt, and our country is a mess. you know, it's one thing to have $20 trillion in debt and our roads are good and our bridges are good, and everything is in great shape and our airports-- third-world country, you land at laguardia, you land at kennedy, you land at l.a.x., and nenewark, and you come in from dubai, from china you see these incredible airports, we have become a third-world country. the worst of all things has happened. we owe $20 trillion, and we're a mess, we haven't even started. and we spent $6 trillion in the middle east, according tie
6:39 pm
6 or 5, but it looks like it's 6-- $6 trillion in the middle east. we could have rebuilt our country twice, and it's really a shame. and it's politicians like secretary clinton that have caused this problem. our country has tremendous problems. we're a debtor nation. we're a serious debtor nation, and we have a country that needs new roads, new tunnels new bridges new airports, new schools, new hospitals and we don't have the money because it's bee of your eyes. >> and maybe because you haven't paid any federal income tax for a lot of years. ( applause ) and the other thing i think is important-- >> it would be squandered, too, believe me. >> if your main claim to be president of the united states is your business, then i think we should talk about it that. you know, your campaign manager said that you built a lot of businesses on the backs of little guys. and, indeed, i have met a lot of the people who were stiffed by
6:40 pm
i've met dish washers, painters, architects, glass installers, marble installers, drapery installers-- like my dad was-- who you refused to pay when they finished the work that you asked them to do. we have an architect in the audience who designed one of your clubhouses at one of your golf courses. it's a beautiful facility. it immediately was put t and you wouldn't pay what the man needed to be paid what he was charging-- >> maybe he didn't do a good job and i was unsatisfied with his work, which our country should do, too. >> for the thousands of people that you have stiffed over the course of your business, not deserve some kind of apology from someone who has taken their labor, taken the goods that they produced, and then refused to
6:41 pm
father never did business with you. he provided a good middle-class life for us. but the people he worked for, he expected the bargain to be kept on both sides. and when we talk about your business, you've taken business bankruptcy six times. there are a lot of great businesspeople that have never taken bankruptcy once. you call yourself the king of debt. you talk about leverage. you even one time sug you would try to negotiate down the-- >> wrong. >> the national debt of the united states. >> wrong. >> well, sometimes there's not a direct transfer of skills from business to can government, but sometimes what happened in business would be really bad for government. so to be very clear about that. >> yes, i think it's time. look, at all words, it's all soundby thes.
6:42 pm
companies, greatest asset anywhere in the wowcialgd beyond the united states-- europe, lot of different places. it's an unbelievable company, but on occasion, four times, we used certain laws that are there, and when secretary clinton talks about people that didn't get paid, first of all, they did get paid a lot, but taking advantage of the laws of the nation. now, you want to change the lawses, you've been there a but i take advantage of the laws of the nation because i'm running a company. my obligation right now is to do well for myself, my families, my employees, for my companies. and that's what i do. but what she doesn't say is tens of thousands of people that are unbelievably happy and that love me. i'll give you an example. we're just opening up on pennsylvania avenue, right next to the white house, so if i don't get there one way, i'm
6:43 pm
office under budget, ahead of scheduled, saved tremendous money. i'm a year ahead of scheduled. and that's what this country should be doing. we build roads and they cost two and three times what they're supposed to cost. we buy products for our military and they come at costs that are so far above what they're supposed to be because we don't have people that know what they're doing. when we look at the budget, the budget is bad to a large extent no idea as to what to do and how to buy. the trump international is way under-budget and way ahead of scheduled, and we should be able to do that for our country. >> well, we're well behind schedule, so i want to move to our next segment. we move into our next segment, talking about america's direction, and let's start by talking about race. the share of americans who say race relations are bad in this
6:44 pm
by shootings of african american by police as we have seen recently in charlotte and tulsa. race is going to be a big issue in this campaign and one of you is going to have to bridge a very wide and bitter gap. how do you heal the divide. secretary clinton, you get two minutes on this. >> you're right, race remains a significant challenge in our country. unfortunately, race still determines too much, often determines where people live, determines what kind of education in their public schools they can get. and, yes, it determines how they're treated in the criminal justice system. we've just seen those two tragic examples in both tulsa and charlotte. and we've got to do several things at the same time. we have to restore tru communities and the police. we have to work to make sure that our police are using the
6:45 pm
techniques, that they're well prepared to use force only when necessary. everyone should be respected by the law, and everyone should respect the law. right now, that's not the case in a lot of our neighborhoods. so i have, ever since the first day of my campaign, called for criminal justice reform. i've laid out a platform that i think would begin to rem criminal justice system. but we also have to recognize, in addition to the challenges that we face with policing, there are so many good, brave police officers who equally want reform. so we have to bring communities together in order to begin working on that as a mutual goal. and we've got to get guns out of the hands of people who should mott have them. the gun epidemic is the leading
6:46 pm
american men, more than the next nine causes put together. so we have to do two things, as i said. we have to restore trust. we have to work with the police. we have to make sure they respect the communities and the communities respect them. and we have to tackle the plague of gun violence which is a big contributor to a lot of the problems we're seeing today. >> donald trump, you have two minutes. how do you heal the divide. >> first of all, secretary clinton doesn't wan couple of words, and that's "law," and "order." we need law and order. if we don't have it, we're not going to have a country. and when i look at what's going on in charlotte-- a city i love, a city where i have investments. when i look at what's going on throughout vairs parts of our country whether it's-- i can just keep naming them all at a long. we need law and order in our country. and i just got today the-- asub, the endorsement of the fraternal order of police.
6:47 pm
we have endorsements from, i think, almost every police group very-- i mean, a large percentage of them in the united states. we have a situation where we have our inner cities, african americans, hispanics are-- living in hell because it's so dangerous. you walk down the street. you get shot. in chicago, they've had thousands of shootings-- thousands-- since jan thousands of shootings. and i'm saying, "where is this? is this a war-torn country? what are we doing?" and we have to stop the violence. we have to bring back law and order i. in a place like chicago where thousands of people have been killed-- thousands over the last number of years-- in fact, almost 4,000 have been killed since barack obama became president, almost 4,000 people in chicago have been killed.
6:48 pm
like chicago you do stop and frisk-- which worked very well. mayor giuliani is here. it worked very well in new york. it brought the crime rate way down. but you take the gun away from criminals that shouldn't be having it. we have gangs roaming the street. and in many cases they're illegally here, illegal immigrants, and they have guns and they shoot people. and we have to be very strong. we have to be very vigilant. we have to know what we're do cases are afraid to do anything. we have to protect our inner cities because african american communities are being decimated by crime. >> your two minutes has expired. >> i do want to follow up, stop and frisk was ruled constitutional in new york because it largely singled out black and hispanic young men. >> now, you're wrong. it went before a judge, who was
6:49 pm
it was taken away from her, and our mayor, our new mayor, refused to go forward with the case. they would have won on appeal. if you look at it throughout the country-- >> the argument is it's a form of racial profiling. >> no, the argument is we have to take the guns away from these people that have them and are bad people that shouldn't have them. these are felons, bad people-- when you have 3,000 shootings in chicago from january 1, when you have 4,000 peo chicago by guns from the beginning of the presidency of barack obama, his home town, you have to have stop and frisk. you need more police pup need a better community, you know, relation. you don't have good community relations in chicago. it's terrible. i have property there. it's terrible what's going on in chicago. but when you look-- and chicago is not the only-- you go to ferguson. guto so many different places.
6:50 pm
i agree with secretary clinton on this-- you need better relationships between the communities and police because in some cases it's not good. but you look at dallas where the relationships were really studied. the relationships were really a beautiful thing. and then five police officers were killed one night very violently. so there's some bad things going on, some really bad things. >> secretary clinton-- >> lester, we need law and order. we need law and order in the that are affected by what's happening are african american and hispanic people. and it's very unfair to them what our politicians are allowing to happen. >> secretary clinton. >> well, i've heard-- i've heard donald say this at his rallies, and it's-- it's really unfortunate that he paints such a dire, negative picture of
6:51 pm
black church. the black presidencies that employ so many people. the black businesses that employ so many people. the opportunities that so many families are working to provide for their kids. there's a lot that we should be proud of and we should be supporting and lifting up. but we do, always have, to make sure we keep people safe. there are the the right ways of doing it, and then there are ways that are ineffective. stop and frisk was fou unconstitutional. and in part because it was ineffective. it did not do what it needed to do. now, i believe in community policing and, in fact, violent crime is one-half of what it was in 1991. property crime is down 40%. we just don't want to see it creep back up. we've had 25 years of very good cooperation, but there were some
6:52 pm
consequences. too many young african american and latino men ended up in jail for nonviolent offenses, and it's just a fact that if you're a young african american man and you do the same thing as a young white man, are you more likely to be arrested, charged, convicted, and incarcerated. so we've got to address the systemic racism in our criminal justice system. we cannot just say "law and order." we have to say-- we have to come forward with a plan that is going to divert people from the criminal justice system, dealle with mandatory minimum sentences which have put too many people away for too long for doing too little. we need to have more second-chance programs. i'm glad we're ending private prisons in the federal system. i want to see them ended in the state system.
6:53 pm
motivation to fill prison cells with young americans. so there are positive ways we can work on this. and i believe, strongly, that commonsense gun safety measureses would assist us. right now-- and this is something donald has supported, along with the gun lobby-- right now, we've got too many military-style weapons on the streets in a lot of places, our police are out-gunned. we need comprehensive background checks. and we need to keep guns out of the hands of thos harm. and we finally need to pass a prohibition on anyone who's on the terrorist watch list from being able to buy a gun in our country. if you're too dangerous to fly, you are too dangerous to buy a gun. so there are things we can do and we ought to do it in a bipartisan way. >> secretary clinton last week you said we have to do everything possible to improve
6:54 pm
people? >> lester, i think implicit bias is a problem for everyone, not just police. i think, unfortunately, too many of us in our great country, jump to conclusions about each other. and, therefore, i think we need all of us to be asking hard questions about, you know, why am i feeling this way? but when it comes to policing, since it can have, literally, fatal consequences, i have said in my first budget, we would put money into tha us deal with implicit bias by retraining a lot of our police officers. i've met with a group of very distinguished, experienced police chiefs a few weeks ago. they admit it's an issue. they have a lot of concerns. mental health is one of the big concerns because now police are having to handle a lot of really difficult mental health problems on the street. they want support. they want more training. they want more assistance. and i think the federal
6:55 pm
and provide it that. >> mr. trump-- >> i'd like to respond to that. >> please. >> first of all, i agree-- and a lot of people even within my own party want to give certain rights to people on watch lists and no-fly lists. i agree with you. when a person is on a watch list or a no-fly list-- and i have the endorsement of the n.r.a., which i'm very proud of. these are very, vrkd people, and they're protecting the second amendment. but i think we have to look everywhere strongly at no-f lists and watch lists, and eve when people don't belong on there, we will help them legally-- i agree with that. you are one who brought up the word "superpredator" about young, black youth. and it's a term that's been horribly met, as you know. i think you apologized for it. but i think it was a terrible thing to say. and when it comes to stop and frisk, you know, you're talking about taking guns away.
6:56 pm
away from gangs and people that use them. and i don't think-- i really don't think you disagree with me on this, if you want to know the truth. i think maybe there's a political reason you can't say it. in new york city, stop and frisk-- we had 2,200 murders and stop and frisk brought it down to 500 murders. 500 murders is a lot of murders. hard to believe. 500 is supposed to be good. but we went from 2,200 to 500, and it was bloomberg and it was terminateed by the current mayor. but stop and frisk had a tremendous impact on the safety of new york city, tremendous beyond belief. so when you say it has no impact, it really did. had a very, very big impact. >> well, it's also fair to say, if we're going to talk about mayors, under the current mayor crime has continued to drop including murders. >> you're wrong, you're wrong. >> no, i'm not. >> murders are up. all right, you'll check it.
6:57 pm
excellent job. and i give credit. i give credit across the board, going back two mayors, two police chiefs because it has worked. and, communities need to come together to do what will work as well. look, one murder is too many. but it is-- >> true. >> important that we learn about what has been effective and not going gto things that sound good that really can did not have the kind of impact that we wou who disagrees with keeping neighborhoods safe? but let's also add, no one should disagree with reporting the rights of young men who live in those neighborhoods. and so we need to do a better job of working, again, with the communities-- faith communities, business communities-- as well as the police to try to deal with this problem. >> this conversation is about race, so, mr. trump, i would like to ask you-- >> i would like to respond.
6:58 pm
>> look, the african american community has been let down by our politicians. they talk good around election time, like right now. and after the election they say, "see you later. i'll see you in four years" the african american community-- look, the community within the inner cities has been so badly treated. they've been abused and used in order to get votes by democrat politicians, because that's what it is. they've controlled these >> mr. trump-- >> well. >> do. >> unbroken. and i will tell you, you look at the inner cities -- and i just left detroit, and i just left philadelphiaue know, you've seen me. i've been all over the place pup decided to stay home, and that's okay. but i will tell you. i've been all over. and i've met some of the greatest people i'll ever meet within these communities and they are very, very upset with what their politicians have told them and what their politicians
6:59 pm
donald just criticized me for preparing for this debate. and, yes, i did. and, you know, what else i prepared for? i prepared to be president. and i think that's a good thing. ( applause ) >> mr. trump, ff five years, you perpepuated a false claim that the nation's first black president was not a natural-born citizen. you questioned his legitimacy. in the last couple of weeks you acknowledge what most americans have accepted for years it's president was born in the united states. you can tell us what took you so just very simple to say. sidney bloo campaign, very close friend of secretary clinton, and her campaign manager, pat i doyle, went to-- during the campaign, her campaign against president obama, fought very hard, and you can go look it up. and you can check it out.
7:00 pm
week, patty doyle was on wolf blitzer saying that this happened. bloomenthal sent mcklatchy, a highly respected reporter, to kenya to find out about it. they were pressing it very hard. she failed to get the birth certificate. when i got involved, i didn't fail. i got him to give the birth certificate. so i'm satisfied with it. and i'll tell you why i'm satisfied with it-- >> that was in 2011. >> i want to get on to isis. because i want to get on to creating jobs. because i want to get on to having a strong border. because i want to get on to things that are very important to me and that are very important to the country. >> i will let you respond, because it's important. i just want to get the answer here. the birth certificate was produced in 2011. you continued to tell the story and question the president's legitimacy in 2012, 2013, 2014, 20 faerng as recently as january. so the question is what changed
7:01 pm
nobody cared much about it. i fig youured you'd ask the question tonight, of course. nobody cared about it. but i was the one hogot him to produce the birth certificate. and i think i did a good job. secretary clinton also fought it. everybody in main stream will say it's not true. look it's true. sidney bloomenthal sent a reporter, you just have to take a look at cnn, the interview with your former campa she was involved. but just like she can't bring back jobs, she can't produce. >> i will let you respond there because there's a lot there. we're talking about racial healing in this segment what, do you say to americans, people of color-- >> i say nothing because i was able to get him to produce it. he should have produced a long time before. i saw nothing. let me just tell you, when you talk about healing, i think i've developed very, very good relationships over the last little while with the african
7:02 pm
and i feel that they really wanted me to come to that conclusion, and i think i did a great job and a great service, not only for the country, but even for the president in getting him on produce his birth certificate. >> secretary clinton. >> well, just listen to what you heard. ( laughter ) and, clearly, as donald just admitted-- he knew he was going to stand on this debate stage and lester holt was going to be tried to put the whole racist, birther lie to bed. but it can't be dismissed that easily. he has really started his political activity based on this racist lie that our first black president was not an american citizen. there was absolute no evidence for it, but he persisted. he persisted year after year
7:03 pm
people that he was trying to bring in to his fold, apparently believed it or wanted to believe it. but remember, donald started his career back in 1973 being sued by the justice department for racial discrimination. because he would not rent apartments in one of his developments to african americans, and he made sure that the people who worked for him understood that was the policy. he actually was the justice department. so he has a long record of engaging in racist behavior. and the birther lie was a very hurtful one. barack obama is a man of great dignity, and i could tell how much it bothered him and annoyed him that this was being touted
7:04 pm
michelle obama said in her amazing speech at our democratic national convention. when they go low, we go high. and barack obama went high despite donald trump's best efforts to bring him down. >> mr. trump, you can respond and we're going to move on to the next seg am. >> i would love to respond. first of all, i got to watch in preparing for this some of your debates with barack obama. you treated him with terrible disrespect, and i watch the way lk everything is, and how wonderful you are. it doesn't work that way. you were after him. you were trying-- you even sent out or your campaign sent out pictures of him in a certain garb-- very famous pictures. i don't think you can deny that. but just last week your campaign manager said it was true. so when you tried to act holier than thou, it really doesn't work. it really doesn't. as far as the lawsuit, yes, when
7:05 pm
queens and we along with many, many other companies across the country-- it was a federal lawsuit-- were sued. we settled the suit with zero, no admission of guilt. it was very easy to do. but they sued many people. i notice you bring up that a lot. and, you know, i also notice the very nasty commercials that you do on me in so many different ways, can which i don't do on you-- maybe i'm trying to save the money. but frankly, i look at that and i say isn't that amazing because i settled that lawsuit with admission of guilt. but that was a lawsuit brought against many real estate firms, and it's just one of those things. i'll go one step further. in palm beach, florida-- tough community, a brilliant community air, wealthy community, probably the wealthiest community there is in the world eye opened a club, and really got great credit for it. no discrimination against african americans, against
7:06 pm
successful club, and i'm so glad i did it. and i have been given great credit for what i did. and i'm very, very proud of it. and that's the way i feel. that is the true way i feel. >> our next seg am is called, "securing america." we want to talk with a 21st century war happening every day in our country. our institutions are under cyber attack and our secrets are being stolen. and how do we fight it? secretary clinton, this answer requests to you. >> well, i think cyber-security, cyber warfare will be one of the biggest challenges facing the next president because, clearly, we're facing at this point two different kinds of adversaries. there are the independent hacking groups that do it mostly for commercial reasons, to try to steal information that they then can use to make money.
7:07 pm
cyber attacks coming from states, organs of states. the most recent and troubling of these has been russia. there's no doubt now that russia has used cyber attacks against all kinds of organizations this in our country, and i am deeply concerned about this. i know donald is praise-worthy of vladimir putin, tough game here. and one of the things he's condition is let loose cyber attackers to hack into government files, hack into personal files, hack into the democratic national committee. and we recently have learned that this is one of their preferred methods of trying to wreak havoc can and collect information. we need to make it very clear whether it's russia, china,
7:08 pm
capacity. and we are not going to sit idly by and permit state actors to go after our information, our private-sector information or our public-sector information. and we're going to have to make it career that we don't, clear that we don't want to use the kinds of thoolz we have, we don't want to engage in a different kind of warfare, put we will defend the citizens of this country, and the russians as almost a probing-- how far would we go? how much would we do? and that's why i was so shocked when donald publicly invited piewt town hack into americans. that is just unacceptable. it's one of the reasons why 50 national security officials who served in republican information-- administrations-- >> your two minute has expired. >> has said donald is unfit to be the commander in chief. it's comments like that, that
7:09 pm
understand the threats that we face. >> mr. trump, you have two minutes on the same question, who is behind it and how do we fight it? >> i do want to say that i was just endorse expood more are coming next week-- over 200 admirals -- many of them here-- admirals and generals endorsed me to lead this country. that just happened, and many more are coming, and i'm very proud of it. in addition, i was just endorsed by ice. they never endorsed anybody before, on immigration. i s i was just recently endorsed-- 16,500 border patrol agents. so when secretary clinton talks about this, i mean, i'll take the admirals and i'll take the generals any day over the political hacks that i see that have led our country so brilliantly over the last 10 years with their knowledge, okay. because look at the mess that we're in. look at the mess that we're in. as far as the cyber, i agree to parts of what secretary clinton
7:10 pm
else, and perhaps we're not. i don't think anybody knows russia broke into the d.n.c. she's saying russia, russia, russia. maybe it was. it could be russia. it could be china. it could also be somebody sitting on their bed who weighs 400 pounds. what did we learn with d.n.c.? we learned that bernie sanders was taken advantage of your shuttle-- look what happened to her. whether that was russia, whether that was china, whether that was another country, we don't know. the truth is under president obama, we've lost control over things we used to have control over. we came in with the internet. we came up with the internet. and i think secretary clinton and myself would agree very much, when you look at what isis is doing with the internet, they're beating us at our own game-- isis.
7:11 pm
it is a-- it is a huge problem. i have a son, he's 10 years old. he has computers. he is sod any with these computers, it's unbelievable. the security aspect of cyb ser very, very tough. and maybe it's hardly doable, but i will say we are not doing the job we are doing. but that's true throughout our whole governmental society. we have so many things we to do better, lester, and certainly cyb ser one of them. >> secretary clinton? >> well, i think there are a number of issues that we should be addressing. i have put forth a plan to defeat isis. it does involve going after them online. i think we need to do much more with our tech can companies to prevent isis and their operatives from being able to use the internet, to radicalize, even direct people in our country and europe and
7:12 pm
our air strikes against isis, and eventually support our arab and kurdish partners to be able to actually take out isis in raqqa, in their claim of being a caliphate. we're making progress. our military is assisting in iraq, and we're hoping that within the year we'll be able to push isis out of iraq, and then, you know, really squ t syria. but we have to be cognizant of the fact that they've had foreign fighters coming to vol fear for them, foreign money, foreign weapons. so we have to make this the top priority. and i would also do everything possible to take out their leadership. i was involved in a number of efforts to take out al qaeda leadership when i was secretary of state, including, of course, taking out bin laden, and i
7:13 pm
baghdadi, as well, make that one of our organizes principles. because we've got to defeat isis, and we've got to do everything we can to disrupt their propaganda efforts online. >> you mention isis, and we think of isis, certainly, as over there, but there are american citizens who have been inspired to commit acts of terror on american soil. the latest incident, of course, the bombings we just saw in new york and new jersey, the knife attack at a mall in minnesota, and last year deadly attacks i'll ask this of both of you. tell us specifically how you would prevent home-grown talks by americans. mr. trump. >> first i have to say one thing, very important. secretary clinton is talking about taking out isis. "we will take out isis." well, president obama and secretary clinton created a vacuum the way they got out of iraq. they shouldn't have been in, but once they got, in the way they knot out was a disaster.
7:14 pm
out-- she's doing it a long time. she's been trying to take them out a long time. but they wouldn't have even been formed if they left some troops behind, like 10,000 or maybe something more than that. and then you wouldn't have had them. or, as i've been saying for a long time-- and i think you'll agree because i said it to you once-- had we taken the oil-- and we should have taken the oil-- isis would not have been able to form, either, because the oil was their primary source of incom over the place, including the oil, a lot of oil in libya, which was another one of her disaefortz. >> secretary clinton. >> well, i hope the fact checkers are turning up the volume and really working hard. donald supported the invasion of iraq. >> wrong. >> that is absolutely proved-- >> wrong. >> expoafer over again. >> wrong. >> he actually advocated for the
7:15 pm
doing business with him one time. but the larger point-- he says this constantly-- is george w. bush made the agreement about when american troops would leave iraq, not barack obama. and the only way that american troops could have stayed in iraq is to get an agreement from the then-iraqi government that would have protected our troops, and the iraqi government would not give that. question you asked, lester. the question you asked is what do we cohere in the united states? that is the most important part of this. how do we prevent attacks? how do we protect our people? and i think we've knot to have an intelligence surge where we are looking for every scrap of information. i was so proud of law enforcement in new york, in minnesota, in new jersey. you know, they responded so quickly, so professionally to
7:16 pm
rahami. and they wrought him down. and we may find out more information because he is still alive, which may prove to be an intelligence benefit. so we've got to do everything we can to vacuum up intelligence from europe, from the middle east. that means we've got to work more closely with our allies. and that's something that donald has been very dismissive of. we're working with nato, the longest military alliance in the history of the world turn our attention to terrorism. we're working with our friends in the middle east-- many of can which, as you know, are muslim majority nations. donald has consistently insulted muslims abroad, muslims at home, when we need to be cooperating with muslim nations and with the american muslim community. they're on the front lines. they can provide information to us that we might not get anywhere else. they need to have close working
7:17 pm
in these communities, not be alienated and pushed away as some of donald's rhetoric, unfortunately, has led to. >> mr.-- >> well, i have to respond. >> please respond. >> the secretary said, very strongly bworking with. we've been working with them for many years. and we have the greatest mess anyone's ever seen. you look at the middle east. it's a total mess. under your direction, to a large extent. but you look at the middle east. you started the iran deal. that's anothea fall eye mean, they were doing so badly, they were choking on the sanctions, and now they're going to be actually, probably, a major power at some point pretty soon, the way they're going. but when you look at nato, i was asked on a major show, "what do you think of nato?" you have to understand, i'm a businessperson, i did really well, but i have common sense. i say, "i'll tell you, i haven't given lots of thought to nato,
7:18 pm
their fair share. number two-- and that bothers me. we're defending them and they should at least be paying us what they're supposed to be paying by treaty and contract. and, number two, i said, and very strongly, nato could be obsolete because-- and i was very strong on this and it was actually covered very accurately in the "new york times," which is unusual for the "new york times" to be honest-- but i said they do not focus on terror. and i was very strong. and i said is it numerous times read on the front page of the "wall street journal" that nato is opening up a major terror division. and i think that's great. and i think we should get-- because we pay approximately 73% of the cost of nato-- at a lot of money to protect other people. but i'm all for nato. but i said they have to focus on terror, also. and they're going to do that. and that was-- believe me, i'm sure i'm not going to get credit for it-- but that was largely because of what i was saying and
7:19 pm
go into the middle east with us, in addition to surrounding nations, and we have to knock the hell out of isis, and we have to do it fast. when isis formed in this vacuum created by barack obama and secretary clinton, and believe me, upper the ones that took out the troops-- not only that, you named the day. they couldn't believe it. >> but, lester we've covered-- >> no, wait a minute. >> we've covered this ground. >> when they for happened. it should have never happened. now you're talking about taking out isis. but you were there, and you were secretary of state when it was a little infant. now it's in over 30 countries. and you're going to stop them? i don't think so. >> mr. trump, a lot of these are judgment questions pup supportet war in iraq before the invasion-- >> i did not support the war in iraq. >> in 2002. >> that is a mainstream media
7:20 pm
she, frankly, i think the best person in her campaign is mainstream media. >> my question, since you supported it, why is your judgment-- >> wait a minute. i was against the war in iraq. just so you fut out. >> the record shows otherwise. >> the record does not show that. >> why has your judgment-- >> the record shows that i'm right. when i did an interview with howard stern, very lightly, the first time anyone asked me that, i said, "i don't know, maybe, who knows." essentially. i then did an inter neal cavato, when i said the economy is more important. when i spoke with sean hannity at fox, and sean hannity said-- and he called the me the other day, and i spoke to him about it. he said you were totally again the war. because he was for the war. >> why is your judgment better-- >> and excuse me. that was before the war started. sean hannity said to me and other people-- nobody wants to
7:21 pm
he said you used to have fights with me because sean was in favor of the war. and i understand that side, also. not very much, because we should have never been there. but nobody called sean hannity. and then they did an article in a major magazine, shortly after the war started, i think in '04, but they did an article, which had me totally against the war in iraq. and one of your compatriots said, you know, whether it was before or right after, trump was definitely-- because if you read this article, there's d the press-- if somebody would call up sean hannity-- this was before the war started-- he and i used to have arguments about the war. i said it's a terrible and a stupid thing. it's going to kestabilize the middle east. and that's exactly what it's done. >> my reference was to what you had said in 2002. my question was-- >> no, no, you didn't hear what i said. >> my question is why is your judgment any different than mrs. clinton's. >> i have much better judgment
7:22 pm
i also have a much better terminatemperamentthan she has. she spent hundreds of millions of dollars on advertising-- you know they get madison avenue in a room-- oh, temperament-- i think my strongest asset maybe by far is temperament. i have a winning temperament. i know how to win. >> secretary clinton-- >> wait, the afl-cio, the other day, behind the don't know who you were talking to, secretary clinton, but you were totally out of control. i said there's a person with a temperament that's out of control. >> secretary clinton. >> whew! okay. let's talk about two important issues that were briefly mentioned by donald. first, nato. you know, nato as a military alliance has something called article five, and basically it says this: an attack on one is
7:23 pm
it's ever been invoked? after 9/11. when the 28 nations of nato said that they would go to afghanistan with us to fight terrorism, something that they still are doing by our side. with respect to iran, when i became secretary of state, iran was weeks away from having enough nuclear material to form a bomb. they h fuel cycle under the bush administration. they had built covert facilities. they had stocked them with centrifuges that were whirling away. and we had sanctioned them-- i voted for every sanction again iran when i was in the senate-- but it wasn't enough. so i spent a year and a half putting together a coalition that included russia and china to impose the toughest sanctions on iran. and we did drive them to the
7:24 pm
and my successor, john kerry, and president obama, got a deal that put a lid on iran's nuclear program, without firing a single shot. that's diplomacy. that's coalition building. that's working with other nations. the other day, i saw donald saying that there were some iranian sailors on a ship in the waters off o of iran, and they were taunting american sailors who were on a nea he said, "you know, if they taunted our sailors, i'd blow them out of the water and start another war." that is not good judgment. that is not the right temperament to be commander in chief. to be taunted. and the worst part-- >> no, they were taunting us? >> i heard donald say has been about nuclear weapons. he has said repeatedly that he didn't care if other nations got nuclear weapons.
7:25 pm
arabia. it has been the policy of the united states-- democrats and republicans-- to do everything we could to reduce the proliferation of nuclear weapons. he even said, "well, you know, if there were nuclear war in the east asia, well, you know, that's fine." >> wrong. >> "have a good time, folks." >> it's lies. >> in fact, his cavalier attitude about nuclear weapons is so deeply troubling. that is the number one threat we face in the world, and it terrorists ever get their hands on any nuclear material. a man who can be provokeed by a tweet should not have his fingers anywhere near the nuclear code as far as anyone with any sense about this is concerned. >> it's getting a little bit old, i must say. >> it's a good one. it well describes the problem. >> it's not an accurate one at all, not an accurate one.
7:26 pm
i agree with her on one thing it's single greatest problem the world has is nuclear armament, nuclear weapons. not global warming like you think in your president things. nuclear is the single greatest threat. just to go down the list. we defend japan. we defend germany. we defend south korea. we defend saudi arabia. we defend countrieses. they do not pay us what they should be paying us because we are providing tremendous service and we're losing a that's why we're losing. we lose on everything. i say whoa makes these-- we lose on everything. all i said is that it's very possible that if they don't pay a fair share-- because this isn't 40 years ago where we could do what we're doing-- we can't defend japan, a behemoth selling us cars by the millions. >> we need to move on. >> but wait, it's very important. all i said is they may have to defend themselves or they may have to help us out.
7:27 pm
trillion. they have to help us out. >> our last-- >> as far as the nuclear is concerned eye agree, it is the single greatest threat that this country has. >> which leaves my last question on segment of securing america. on nuclear weapons, president obama reportedly considered changing the nation's long-standing policy on first use. do you support the current policy? mr. trump, you have two minutes on that. >> i have to say, you know, for what secretary clinton was saying about nuclear with russia, she's very cavalier countries. but russia has been expanding their-- they have a much newer capability than we do. we have not been updating from the new standpoint. i looked the other night. i was see b-52s. they're old enough that your father, your grandfather could be flying them. we are not-- are not keeping up with other countries. i would like everybody to end it, just get rid of it. but i would certainly not do
7:28 pm
alternative happens, it's over. at the same time, we have to be prepared. i can't take anything off the table. because you look at some of these countries-- you look at north korea. we're doing nothing there. china should solve that problem for us. china should go into north korea-- china is totally powerful as it relates to north korea. and, by the way, another one powerful is the worst deal i think i've ever seen negotiated that you started is the iran deal-- iran is one of their biggest trading partners. iran has power over north korea. when they made that horrible deal with iran, they should have included the fact that they do something with respect to north korea. and they should have done something with respect to yemen, and all these other places. and when asked to secretary kerry, "why didn't you do that? why didn't you add other things into the deal?" one of the great giveaways of all time, of all time--
7:29 pm
nobody's ever seen that before-- that turned out to be wrong. it was actually $1.7 billion in cash. obviously, i guess, for the hostage, it certainly looks that way. so you say to yourself, why didn't they make the right deal? this is one of the worst deals ever made by any country in history. the dial with iran will lead to nuclear problems. all they have to do is sit bac >> your two minute has expired. >> i met with b.b. netanyahu, the other day. believe me, he is not a happy camper. >> let me say, words matter when you run for president, and they really matter when you are president, and i want to reassure our allies in japan and south korea and elsewhere that we have mutual defense treaties, and we will honor them.
7:30 pm
word be good. and so i know that this campaign has caused some questioning and some worries on the part of many leaders across the global. i've talked with a number of them. but i want to, on behalf of myself and i think on behalf of a majority of the american people say that, you know, our word is good. it's also important that we look at the entire global there's no doubt that we have other problems with iran, but personally, i'd rather deal with the other problems having put that lid on their nuclear program than still to be facing that. and donald never tells you what he would do. would he have start aid war? would he have bombed iran? if he's going to criticize a deal that has been very successful in giving us access to iranian facilities that we
7:31 pm
but it's like his plan to defeat isis-- he says it's a secret plan but the only secret is that he has no plan. so we need to be more precise in how we talk about these issues. people around the world follow our presidential campaigns so closely, trying to get hints about what we will do. can they rely on us? are we going to lead the world with strength and in that's what i intend to do. i intend to be a leader of our country that people can count on both here at home and around the world to make decisions that will further peace and prosperity, but also stand up to bullies, whether they're abroad or at home. we cannot let those who would try to kestabilize the world, to interfere with american interests and security-- >> your two minute--
7:32 pm
like to say. >> very quickly, 20 seconds. >> i will go very quickly. but i will tell you that hillary will tell you to go to her web site and tell you how to defeat isis which she could have defeated by having it never get going in the first place. right now it's tougher and tougher to defeat because it's in more and more states, more and more nations and it's a big problem. >> mr. trump-- >> as far as japan is concerned, i want to help all of our allies.t billions of dollars-- we cannot be the policemen of the world. we cannot protect countries all over the world-- >> we have just-- >> where they're not paying us what we need. >> we have a few final questions. >> she has no business ability. we need heart. we need some basic ability. and, sadly, she doesn't have that. all of the things she talking about could have been taken care of during the last 10 years, let's say, when she had great
7:33 pm
this race, she won't. >> mr. trump, secretary clinton became the first woman nominated by a major party. earlier you said she doesn't have, "a presidential look." she's standing here right now. what do you mean by that? >> she doesn't have the look. she doesn't have the stamina. i said she doesn't have the stamina. and i don't believe she does have the stamina. to be president of this country, you need tremendous stamina. >> the quote was, "i just don't think she has the pres >> wait a minute. you asked me a question. did you ask me a question? you have to be able to negotiate our trade deals. you have to be able to negotiate-- that's right. with japan. with saudi arabia. i mean, you can imagine, we're defending saudi arabia, and with all of the money they have, we're defending them, and they're not paying. all you have to do is speak to them. you have so many different things you have to be able to do. and i don't believe that hillary has the stamina.
7:34 pm
to 112 countries and negotiates a peace deal, a cease-fire, a release of dissidents and an opening of new opportunities in nations around the world, or even spends 11 hours testifying in front of of a congressional committee, he can talk to me about stamina. ( applause ) >> the world, let me tell you-- let me tell you-- hillary has experience, but it's bad we have made so many bad deals curing the last-- so she's got experience-- ( applause ) that i agree, but it's bad, bad experience. whether it's the iran deal that you're so in love with, where we gave them $150 billion back. whether it's the iran deal. whether it's anything you can-- name-- you almost can't name a good deal. i agree, she's got experience. but it's bad experience. and this country can't afford to have another four years of that
tv-commercial
7:35 pm
we are at the final question-- >> well, one thing-- >> quickly,. >> he tried to switch from looks to stamina. but this is a man who has called women pigs, slobz, and dogs. and someone who has dade of said pregnancy is an inconvenience to employers. >> i never said that. >> who said women don't deserve equal pay unless they do as good a job as men. >> didn't say that. he said was about a woman in a beauty contest-- he loves beauty contests, supporting them and hanging around them. and he called this woman "miss piggy." then he called her, keeping. her name is alisa michado, and she has become a u.s. citizen
7:36 pm
vote this november. >> hillary is hitting me with tremendous commercials, some of it said in entertainment. some o it said-- somebody who has been very is vicious to me, rosy adonnell. i said very tough things to her, and i think everybody would agree she deserves it and nobody feels sorry for her. you want to know the truth-- i was going to say something extremely rough to hillary, to her family. and i said to myself, i can't do it. i ju't it's inappropriate. it's not nice. but she spent hundreds of millions of dollars on negative ads on me, many of which are absolutely untrue. they're untrue and they're misrepresentations. and i will tell you this, lester. it's not nice. and i don't-- i don't deserve that. but it's certainly not a nice thing that she's done. it's hundreds of millions of ads. and the only gratifying is-- i
7:37 pm
>> we have to move on. >> with the $200 million spent, and we're either winning or tied and i spent practsly nothing. >> one of you will not win this election. my final question is are you willing to accept the outcome as the will of the voters? secretary clinton. >> i support our democracy. sometimes you win. sometimes you lose. but i certainly will support the outcome of this election. and i know donald's trying very hard to plant doubts about it, understand this election's really up to you. it's not about us so much as it is about you and your families and the kind of country and future you want. so i sure hope you will get out and vote as though your fiewrpt depended on it, because i think it does. >> mr. trump, very quickly, the same question, you will you accept the outcome as will of the voters? >> i want to make america great again. we are a nation that is seriously troubled. we're losing our jobs.
7:38 pm
the other day we were deporting 800 people. and perhaps they passed the wrong button. they pressed the wrong button. or perhaps, worse than, that it was corruption. but these people that we were to deport for good reason ended up becoming citizens, ended up becoming citizens. and it was 800, and now it turns out it might be 1800 and they don't even know. >> will you accept the outcome of the election. >> i want to make america great again. i'm going to be able to do it. i don't believe hil the swrp is if she wins, i will absolutely support her. >> well, that is going to do it for us. that connection our debate for this evening, a spirited one. we covered a the love ground. not everything, as i suspected we wouldn't. the next presidential debates are scheduled for october 9 at washington university in st. louis, and october 19 at the university of nevada, las vegas. the conversation will continue. a reminder: the vice presidential debate is scheduled
7:39 pm
my thanks to hillary clinton and donald trump and hofstra university for hosting us tonight. good night, everyone. >> pelley: and the first presidential debate between hillary clinton and donald trump wendz a handshake, but no mended feelings between the two. going into the can be, we wondered whether they could treat each other with with with respect, even though they loa one another, and it worked for about 89 minutes, but in these last few minutes, things really came apart and the name calling began. john dickerson is joining us here tonight. john, what did you see? >> at the end there, i wasn't sure they were going to do the shaking of the hands. you know, throughout the evening, donald trump stuck on a couple of big themes, kept talking about the typical politicians, how hillary clinton had been a part of the system that failed america again and again. he was pressed on specifics. hillary clinton had a lot of
7:40 pm
the problem, saying it was the result of the police class. when he was political class. when he was specific it was about trade and how to make good trade deals. hillary clinton was quite specific on everything from her tax plans to her policies overseas. but the question will be did people like the blunt force of trump or did they like hillary clinton's greater command of the fact? >> pelley: hillary clinton was getting into a great deal more in terms of the details. she was apparently, from theok the podium. donald trump's points were bumper sticker point-- bring jobs back, law and order. very simple kinds of ideas that punched through for many people. >> well, that's right. now, the fact checkers are going to have a field day because there were a lot of back-and-forths about the facts and who was saying what fact where. it will be interesting to see whether that ends up hurting him. it hasn't hurt him so far.
7:41 pm
session, the people watching for the first time, lots of people are taking new impressions tonight, and basically get through the thrust of his campaign. hillary clinton got forward a lot of things she believes in, too. >> pelley: as we said just a moment ago, there was a great deal of kecorrum in the early part of the debate. she started the debate calling him donald. he started the debate calling her secretary clinton. but toward the very end, things really got out of hand, and we that for you right now. >> mr. trump, this year, secretary clinton became the first woman nominated for president by a major party. earlier this month you said she doesn't have, "a presidential look." she's standing here right now. what did you mean by that? >> she doesn't have the look. she doesn't have the stamina. i said she doesn't have the stamina. and i don't believe she does have the stamina. to be president of this country, you need tremendous stamina.
7:42 pm
think she--" >> waim, lester. you asked me a question. did you ask me a question. you have to be able to negotiate on trade deals. you have to be able to negotiate-- that's right, with japan, with saudi arabia. i mean, you can imagine we're defending saudi arabia, and with all of the money they have, we're defending them, and they're not paying. all you have to cois speak to them. wait, you have so many different things you have to be able to do. and i don't believe that hillary has the stamina. >> >> well, as soon as he travels to 112 countries and negotiates a peace deal, a cease-fire, a release of dissidents, an opening of new opportunities in nations around the world, or even spends 11 hours testifying in front of a congressional committee, he can talk to me about stamina. >> pelley: at one point, john dickerson, she called him a
7:43 pm
her a political hack. >> yeah, he-- you know, the racist, they got in a back-and-forth of this question whether his advocacy for the idea that barack obama was not born in united states, he got himself tangled up there a little bit saying he did that to get the president to release his birth certificate but as we know he continued that crusade long after the president released his birth certificate. we will be looking at these facts said on the stage that don't match up wit and when he said he didn't have the look and he changed it to stamina. there were a couple of those instanceininstances. >> pelley: we'll get to more of that when our coverage
7:44 pm
7:45 pm
>> i have a win i know how to win. she does not. >> secretary clinton. >> a man who can be provoked by a tweet should not have his fingers anywhere near the nuclear codes. >> pelley: a great deal riding on tonight's debate because the race is vurlly in a tie. hillary clinton's poll numbers have been dropping steadily since mid-august. donald trump's have been rising. and now they've met in the
7:46 pm
today. major garrett has been covering the trump campaign from the the very beginning. let's go to major now. major. >> reporter: scott, donald trump prepared lightly for this debate-- no mock debates, no heavy briefing books and now we know why. for those of us who have traveled around the country listening to donald trump, what we heard tonight in the debate were his own favorite riffs from his stump speeches, not the titlely controlled prewritten teleprompter speeches he's been giving lately on policy, but his sort of larger world view about broad themes. and trump went at them with the simplicity and the confidence he has on the campaign trail for months and month now. there was a memorable exchange with hillary clinton about trump's unreleased tax returns. he did, for the first time, offer those tax returns up, but only on one condition. let's take a listen. >> i will release my tax returns against my lawyer's wishes when
7:47 pm
as soon as she releases them, i will release-- i will release my tax returns, and that's against my-- my lawyers say they don't do it. >> maybe he doesn't want the american people, all of you watching tonight, to know that he's paid nothing in federal taxes because the only years that anybody's ever seen were a couple of years when he had to turn them over to state authorities when he was trying to get a casino license and they showed he didn't pay any f republicans i talked to during the debate thought that exchange was memorable, and they thought trump's pivot on that was particularly effective, and these are not necessarily republicans who are big fans of trump. they do believe his overall simplicity, confidence, and directness, in the end will work to his advantage. >> pelley: major, thanks very much. what was also interesting about that moment is that was the first time, perhaps the biggest time that the crowd erupted when he mentioned the e-mails. and even with that support from
7:48 pm
didn't go back to the issue of the e-mails. it never came up again. nancy cordes is with us now. nancy has been covering the clinton campaign. nance. >> reporter: scott, i'm joined by jennifer polmeiri, the campaign manager. and one of your working theories was we were going to see a more disciplined trump tonight, that he was going to, in your words, hold it together. were you right? >> i was not. and i have to say this was not the debate we prepp we did think he would come in with a more disciplined demeanor and present that kind of demeanor for the full 90 minutes. and-- >> reporter: in particular what did you think was undisciplined about him? >> well, i think from the very start you could see that he wasn't prepared for the debate which makes you not prepared for the job. and he became-- he quickly became unhinged, and he just, seems to me, just being in her--
7:49 pm
do on the economy provoked him into a spiral of pretty negative attacks against her, from which he neverue know, he himself never recovered. >> reporter: and yet he did hermine home a few key points that people will probably will remember. he talked about trade. he talked about washington being broken. are you concerned that voters at home are going to recall some of his key points? >> i think one thing that was important to us was that-- and it was good because it happened right at the beginning of the first few questions, she was able to convey what she would do to help groat economy, in particular, what she would do to make sure the middle class starts seeingab increase in wages, has an easier time in managing work and life and has an easier time and seeing more jobs being created. and she put forward specific plans on that. we think we had 100 million people watching. we think it's really important
7:50 pm
her and were really pleased that that happened. and we think what they saw in her was somebody whos prepared for the debate and prepared for the job. this was not a an easy 90 minutes to get through. she showed a lot of grace and temperament. >> reporter: hillary clinton now heads to four battleground states for the next four days. >> pelley: john dickerson is here with us tonight. >> one thing we're looking for scott, is the partisans watching on both sides, did they get what they wanted in terms of building enthusiasm for an election? and hillary clinton, what jennifer palmieri, was talking about, all the travel she has done as secretary of state, that's about giving a soundbite to her partisans saying i'm fighting against this guy. you have to be on my team. remember, this is about whipp i used to watch this perfect couple.
7:51 pm
she's gone missing. you were seen in the area that night. i went to visit my husband. you mean your ex-husband? there's some time missing. i need you to stay away. what happened that night? rated r. ? [grunting] ? ?
7:52 pm
? [engine revving] i don't think so. ? my fellow americans, in this election...godaddy's record is very clear. or building an awesome website, there is no other candidate that's more affordable, or worthy of your hard earned trust. so c'mon america, give that yuge idea of yours a piece of the online american dream today with godaddy! (eruption of applause) get your dot com domain for just 99 cents for the first year.
7:53 pm
>> pelley: back now at the first presidential debate with bob schieffer, who has moderated three presidential debates in 2004, '08, and in '12, and has reported on just about all of the others, bob. >> you know, i have never seen
7:54 pm
down the way it did tonight. you almost never see audience responses like we saw tonight. we were expecting a different kind of debate, and i think in that way we saw one. i don't think donald trump lost any vote tonight. i'm not sure hillary clinton gained any votes tonight. what we saw was an example of just how deep the divide is now between democrats and republicans. i didn't learn very much new tonight. i me, off pretty well. it was fairly business-like. and then, you know, about 15 minutes in, it just broke down into name calling. and it was back and forth and who could shout the loudest. i must say, i thought mrs. clinton maintained her composure throughout. i thought she zinged him a couple of pretty good times on the income tax thing. i mean when she brought home this point, you know, what is it that he has to hide here? now, his supporters in the hall
7:55 pm
moment for him. but i think that's what we saw tonight. she was preaching to her choir over here. he was preaching to his choir over here. we never saw any indication about how you come together to form the coalitions to break the gridlock that this country finds itself in. >> pelley: bob, thank you so much. i just see mike pence walking in here, the indiana governor, and donald trump's vice president. governor, we're proud to see you. thank you for coming in. and schieffer's microphone. >> governor, i'd like to present you with this microphone. sit right down. >> pelley: mike pence of indiana, donald trump's running mate, you were in the audience. >> i was. >> pelley: what did you see? >> well, i saw-- i saw a great debate tonight, and i saw my running mate present his ideas to make america great again in
7:56 pm
straightforward. he engaged in ways that i think demonstrated the energy and the leadership that he'll bring when he's elected president of the united states. >> pelley: it broke down there at the end. there was a lot of name calling. i think people would find that disappointing in a presidential debate. >> well, i was disappointed to see the way hillary clinton, frankly, was casting insults through most of this. and i'm very pleased that donald trump continued to stay focused on the issues that matter to the it seemed to me there were a lot of-- there were a lot of sidebar nooshz this debate. but where country is really focused is on security, on getting this economy moving again, on dealing with the issues that are affecting their lives. and i think you saw donald trump again and again go back to talkintalking about those issuen the direct and forthright way that has really created enormous moment numb this campaign. and i expect will continue to grow after tonight's performance.
7:57 pm
you said she said things that were offensive. what was offensive? >> well, i just think-- all throughout, john, what we saw hillary doing, i thought, was making demeaning comments and making comments-- >> like which ones? >> what you heard coming into this there might be some attempt to try to provoke donald trump. but donald trump does have the temperament to lead this country. and he demonstrated that tonight by not-- by not, in effect, and, frankly, as he said at the end of the debate, by not indulging in the kind of personal attacks that hillary clinton continued to repeat. >> pelley: governor mike pence, republican candidate for vice president, thank you so much for being with us. >> thanks. great to be with you all. >> pelley: so one debate down and two to go for hillary clinton and donald trump. they will meet again in two weeks in st. louis, but first, one week from tomorrow, we will see the vice presidential debate between mike pence and tim
tv-commercial
7:58 pm
the moderator will be cbs' elaine quiajiano. there will be more on this late local news on this station. for john dickerson, nancy cordes, major garrett, and bob schieffer, i'mcott pelley hempstead, new york. i'll see you tomorrow on the cbs evening news.
8:00 pm
it was no holds bar dashboard. it was the first debate between trump and clinton. >> we have a team coverage tonight. nicole price is standing by with political consultants and

88 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on